is an international standard for the Occupational health and safety management system (OHSMS) of an organization, the OHSMS has been official replaced in March 2018 with the ISO 45001 standard. The OHSMS focuses on improving health, safety and the wellbeing of stakeholders like employees and visitors to the organization. The standard is used both internally and externally to evaluate or determine if the organization conforms to the legal occupational health & safety requirements and the organization’s own policy.
The criteria for the OHSMS are designed to facilitate:
– Developing structural plans (documentation) and defining & coordinating the organization’s processes and activities in accordance with health & safety management policies and standards
– Determination of occupational health & safety-related risks and their impact, prioritizing these risks, and taking preventive and corrective actions
– Deciding on and acquiring the support goods and services like machines, materials, people and space, to conform to occupational health & safety requirements
– Continuously monitoring/ measuring and examining occupational health & safety performance
– Taking appropriate actions by adjusting and implementing plans, processes and activities to improve performance in health, safety, wellness and wellbeing of people
ISO 45001 is intended to be applicable to any organization, regardless of its size, industry or the products and services it provides. Using this standard helps achieve safer working conditions, a healthy workplace and safe working equipment. It helps creating a culture of positivity and increased morale when employees and stakeholders see that their needs are being taken into account and their health & safety risks are minimized or eliminated. Adherence to this standard can also reduce ill-health & work-related accidents, lessen unwanted early exits and increase employees’ productivity. All of this will lower your costs, improve your profits and enhance your brand reputation and equity. A certificate of this standard shows you comply.