is an international standard for the Environmental Management System (EMS) of an organization. The EMS focuses on maintaining and improving the environmental performance of the organization. The standard is used both internally and externally to evaluate or determine if the organization conforms to the legal environmental requirements and the organization’s own policy.
The criteria for the QMS are designed to facilitate:
– Developing structural plans (documentation) and defining & coordinating the organization’s processes and activities in accordance with environmental management policies and standards
– Determination of environmentally related risks and their environmental impact, prioritizing these risks, and taking preventive and corrective actions
– Deciding on and acquiring the support goods and services like machines, materials, people and space, to conform to customer’s needs & expectations
– Continuously monitoring/ measuring and examining quality management performance
– Taking appropriate actions by adjusting plans, processes and activities to improve environmental performance
ISO 14001 is intended to be applicable to any organization, regardless of its size, industry or the products and services it provides. Using this standard helps decrease environmental impact and increase environmental performance, thanks to continual and structural control and improvement of the environmental management system. In turn this will reduce your costs and enhance your brand. A strong brand in the area of environmental performance is increasingly required and necessary for contracts. A certificate of this standard sets you apart from your competitors and will aid you in winning more business.